Thursday, August 14, 2008

Iowa In June 2008, Part II

It just won't quit! The winds have not gone under 20 mph with this last band of storms. I'm tired -- this drill seems to go on night after night! By now, 20-30 mph winds feels almost like a 'breeze' to me! It's really blowing now and the RV is rockin' but it is different during the day when I can SEE what is going on! More storms to come through tonight.

All of the rivers and creeks are out of their banks in central Iowa so I'm not sure where this water will go. In Des Moines, the rivers are so far out of their banks the city sewers are running full and blowing off the manhole covers! We should get some of those oil pipeline guys from Texas to lay a pipeline from central Iowa to Texas -- they can have all of the run off flood water they want!

Bea is resigned to the fact that I will go to Judy's if it gets bad. She has stopped calling to say she would come get me so I could go to HER basement! But believe me, she still calls me when she heads to the basement to make sure I'm up and moving!

The animals are OK -- Holly runs and hides in her hiding place up behind the bed long before the storm gets here. And she stays there until it is all clear! Li'l Bit hides out down by the side of the bed under the old rugs and blankets I have stored down there or at the head of he bed under all of the pillows. Neither of them move until it is clear. I have learned that when Holly leaves her hiding place and comes to bed, it is definitely "all clear."

By now the birds are used to being strapped in under their bankets. I have taken all of the swinging toys out of their cages and at night, when I put themqin the cages, I wrap them up with an old comforter and secure it with bungi straps.

I am either going to be dead or an expert at riding out storms and winds in RVs. I think I'm going to write a book on inclement weather RVing -- or maybe why the hell I haven't moved the RV out of this crap! I need to get back to Rockport so I can REST!

When I was in Rockport, Li'lBit and I used to go to the beach and just set there and enjoy the view and the fresh air -- I'd take a book and thermos of coffee, and in general, I would act Retired & Lazy! In Iowa I nap in the afternoon so I can watch the weather radar at night. When there aren't any warnings, Li'l Bit and I go to bed early and really sleep! I don't even stay in my clothes if the weather is good! See how wonderful things can be! Life is Good!

There is a swing hanging from the tree behind me and that swing has been bouncing and flopping all over. Occasionally, the winds will be so strong, that swing will just be suspended straight out like some invisible giant is hanging on to it. Good thing it is on chains - don't think rope would hold it in the winds.

June 7th was the first night in over a week I actually slept in 'jammies' -- I know that is more that you care to hear! But I wasn't totally 'off guard' -- I took the weather radio and my "get the hell out in a hurry" bag to bed with me. June 8th and I'm back to seeping in clothes with my weather radio and 'escape' bag.

No comments: