Monday, August 11, 2008

May in Iowa - 21- 31 May 08

I arrived to rainy and chilly weather so just did the basic set up -- it was too cold and too dreary to be messing with awnings....I may not need them since I am in the shade. Supposed to be the same all weekend -- I thought I was going to freeze to death! Temps are a little below normal for here but they didn't get rid of the snow until a few weeks ago....long winter for them! I'm really glad I kept the sweat shirts out! Goes into the 40s a night and only to the mid-50s during the day. A lot of Memorial Day plans will be ruined.

Of course all of this sure beats the heat, humidity, hail and wind storms I left in Texas! Oh, but little did I know what was in store for me!

All is well in 'retirementville'! The critters and I traveled quite well -- I slept like a baby the first few nights after the 3-day trip and with the 40 degree sleeping weather! There will be no holding me down now - with a little planning, I guess I can go just about anywhere I want to go -- as long as I can afford the diesel! $4.499 was the most I paid for diesel on the way up -- but that, too, would soon change. Averaged just over 12 miles per gallon on the trip.

Bea and I went out to eat so I could pick up WiFi in the restaurant. Downloaded emails - back to the RV to answer them - back to the restaurant the next day to send and download again. I can see I'll be a regular at Culver's restaurant and Staples parking lots until I can get on the WiFi at the park.

Went to the Alltel phone store -- broke down and ordered the conductivity kit I need to use my cellphone as a dial up modem. Darn thing is cosing nearly $60 but at the price of diesel, I'll burn that much driving back and forth every day to get on the internet. I will have unlimited download for $25/month. Amazing how dependent I've become on the internet since I've been on the road.

I'm not sure what is going to be planted in the field aross the road -- farmers are behind with planting -- fields too wet. I can tell you, however, they were out spreading manure today -- the aroma was quite intense for an hour or so. And I'm sure it will re-intensify when the rains come back. Oh, it's great to be back in the country -- the good ol' smell of "farmer's gold!" My kitty liter doesn't smell quite so bad!

The train goes down the track behind the park frequently during the day and night. It seems I hear the AM and PM trains the best. When I hear one the evening, I'll go to bed -- when I hear the one in the AM, I'll get up -- YUP -- sure saves looking at the clock!

Have had to turn on the furnace in the AM -- these darn damp chilly windy mornings make it really hard to roll out of bed. It's the 25th of May and finally temps getting into the 70s -- but then the thunderstorms, winds and hail will be back when the sun goes down. Welcome to central Iowa in the spring!

I'm anxious to get the bird feeders out and pot a few plants, herbs and flowers.

I really think I'm going to like it here -- there isn't anything to do at the park -- not even a laundry. I'm in the middle of nowhere -- about 3-5 miles from town. Surrounded by fields, woods and farms. Parked in a wonderful grove of bur oaks -- which will lead to another exciting experience as time goes by. The park here is small -- 12 spaces and some tent sites. The town is big enough to have what I need -- WalMart, KMart, a Dollar Store and a Farm Supply -- what more does anyone need! And, since I've visited my sister here many times, I'm comfortable getting around town and finding things.

Li'l Bit and I spend most mornings outside. Getting out flower pots and bird feeders from the under-storage area. If it doesn't rain I'll get my herbs repotted. They traveled quite well in the shower, but I'm going to have to figure a way to haul them in the back of the truck and not have them blown away after they will have all summer to grow.

Also need to look for a sewer hose -- found I have a hole in this one....not sure where I got that.

The tornados must have followed me from Texas -- horrible weather May 25. 50-60 mph winds blew constantly for over an hour -- just horrible sounds. The rear end of the of the RV is pointed west, so when the winds comes blowing across the field, I don't do a lot of rockin'n'rollin' since I'm not taking side hits. A walk-around in the daylight shows all survived but I do need to find some kind of brackets for the back flap on the RV -- those flimsy aluminum things just don't hold the weight of the flap in high winds. I suppose I could just go out and close the flap when the weather gets bad, but then I don't have any light coming in the back part of the RV -- and the thought of his old fat body up on a ladder in the winds and rain really doesn't appeal to me.

I ran from winds and tornados in Texas and the damn windy, hailing , tornado weather followed me. It is the end of May and we are supposed to have crummy weather all week and then maybe some sunshisne NEXT week.

I feel bad for the farmers -- the ground is so wet from the late spring snows and no warmth or sun to evaporate the moisure, the fields are bare -- they can't get out and work them -- wonder if they will manage to get any crops in so there is enough time to grow and harvest them.

Stopped at the garden shop in town to pick up a few things and the lady tha waited on me was from my homeown in Iowa (Maquokea) -- I graduated from high school with her younger sister -- now how is that for making a small world even smaller!

On May 29 I was up at 11PM watching the weather and trying to keep up with my weatherbug radar loops -- tornado, high winds, hail and flood warnings until 3AM -- It has been raining and cold and windy since I got here - maybe I need to come up a little later next ear.

The weahermen have been telling me fibs! They tell me it will warm up and be sunny -- WRONG! 52 degrees at 2PM the end of May doesn't sound like warm and sunny to me. The tornado 5/30 wiped out parts of Attica IA, about 50 miles south of my location -- last weekenda tornado wiped out Parkersburg IA -- about 40 miles norheast of me. Ever since I've been here we have had severe thunderstorms, hail and tornados nearly every evening. I'm spending most of my inernet and TV time watching doppler radar -- I say up waiting to see when it is 'safe' to go to bed -- then sleep with clothes on. Horrible midwestern spring!

The creeks are out of their banks and some of the rivers are 5 feet above flood state. The back half of the RV park is under water. Roads are flooded going into town. Welcome to Iowa!

And more storms are coming........
........AND SO WE GET BLOWN RIGHT INTO JUNE!

No comments: