Sunday, August 17, 2008

Iowa in July, Part III

The story of the truck gets better every time I call. Cummins Diesel has specific tests that need to be completed. Sounds like it is going to be another week or two. Good thing I have my sister to take me around -- but I really hate to keep asking her.

Li'l Bit, Holly and I made a mad dash to get back into the RV and close the windows and crank up the air conditioning. They were doing arial spraying in the fields across the road. Not good for crappy lungs! Yes, I managed to get Holly into a collar and I didn't lose too much flesh in the process. And with the collar and a leash, she went outside to her little nylon mesh 'cat house.'

Getting close to the end of July and finally, nearly a week of no really bad weather! Oh, there was rain and there were storms, but Li'l Bit and I managed to get outside every day.

Bea and I were invited to a cookout at the Tree House. The owner's grandson (now an elementary school principal here in town) started building a tree house in the maple tree behind his grandmother's home about 30 years ago. The treehouse is now 12 levels, more than 55 feet high, more than 7,000 square feet of floor space. Complete with music, bridges, walkways, a spiral sairway, a kitchen, running water, grill, swings, picnic tables, ceiling fans, lighting, etc, etc, etc. Quite an experience! http://www.bigtreehouse.net/treehouse.html

I've decided the breadmaker has to go -- haven't used it in the RV once. They have a big Good Will store here -- I'll take it there -- I also have some cookware and a bunch of kitchen utensils that I haven't used. As soon as I get the truck back, I'll sart loading the stuff up and take it to them. I want to make room for a protable countertop ice maker - I need to dump about another 40 pounds of stuff to make up for the weight of the ice maker. Of course, if I'd dump that 40 pounds from ME, I'd probably feel better!
July is coming to an end and the humidity has set in and the heat is coming -- to get into the low 100s by the end of the month. Li'l Bit and I go outside and do our 'outside' thing (short walk, drink coffee, read the paper) in the morning now before it gets too warm. And the corn field across the road has tasseled and is putting off pollen. But, it is nice to have the time to watch the flowers bloom and listen to the grass grow -- life is good!

Bring on the allergy meds and here comes August!

No comments: