Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Iowa in August 2008, Part II

Things are going along great on August 12th. Life is good! These late night hours watching the Olympic games are gonna kill me! I'm crawling out of bed later and later. Guess my critters are in the 'retired' mode, too -- they remain quiet and don't wake me up!

Of course, I cannot blame all of the 'late night hours' on the Olympics. I have spent many hours roaming around the internet like it is my own personal library and travelogue. I have really developed an interest in listening to old time radio shows and reading e-books.

I had a telephone conference call bird club meeting with the Temple (TX) bird club regarding the fall mart and bird show. I sure do miss those lunch meetings! Good friends -- Good food! But, like many things, the price of fuel keeps people from traveling. The members of the Temple group come from all over Texas and we would meet quarterly for our meeting, lunch and just good time fellowship. http://www.texasbirdbreeders.org/

On the 14th, Bea stopped by the RV on her way back into town from a meeting. She had seen a tornado on the way back. Numerous funnel clouds were around Marshalltown -- sirens going off -- still have power! But, I'll tell you, I'm really getting 'spooked' about the wind and torndado stuff -- I noticed I really get "tense' when it happens now. Ever since the RV next to me got blown around a few storms ago, made me apreciate my heavy ol' rig. I could see his 5th wheel just wobble back and forth. I wondered if it would tip over. He had one of those really nice Montana rigs with 3 slides and the winds lifted up the rear end and set it back down! Made a believer out of me!

I've packed my "get the hell out" bag AGAIN - keys, flashlilght, radio, wallet, cell phone -- my power pals are charged and we are huddled here for another tornado warning. I'll sleep in clothes one more time.

The guys in the pop-up next to me went into town when the storm started. They came home about midnight -- about the same time Holly came out of hiding -- there's my "all clear!"

According to the news, 7 'rope' tornados were spotted around Marshalltown - none touched down. Sure did do some rockin' and rollin' -- but, one mystery has now been solved. Periodically, I hear strange sounds around the RV -- like something is hitting it -- almost sounds like it is being pelleted with hail, even when we aren't having storms. Well, I'm in a grove of bur oaks! The acorns falling off the tree and hitting the RV produce the mystery sound!

Speaking of sounds, it is near perfect for sleeping around here. Love to hear the symphony of locusts playing their lullaby at night. Locusts, distant train whistles, breeze through the trees -- doesn't get any better than that!

The morning after the storm, Lil Bit and Holly decided there would be NO sleepin' in! Don't know what they wanted to do, but we got up! Critters fed and time to go outside, take a walk-around the RV for damage, drink my coffee and read the paper!

Shopping bags of pop cans are piling up! They do recycling here so I have bags and boxes for glass, tin cans, newspapers, #2 plastic, etc, etc, `etc.! I could pitch the soda cans into the recycle bin, but if I take them back to the store, I get my nickel deposit back for each can/bottle. Gotta save those nickels!

Iowa sweet corn came in late, but now there is plenty. I have too much! It is so sweet and so good! I bought some at a farm stand and then picked some more up at the store. The birds and I can't eat it all before it gets old -- will pack some up and cart it off to my sister!

My 'running buddies' from Rockport are retiring from the bird part of their bird business. They will stilll have their toys and products. It is an adjustment when the birds are gokneo. Of course, I had the advantage of parting with the birds and the house at the same time. I relaly miss hand feeding the babies though and I know Elke will too. www.rockportroost.com

Jeannie, my double yellow head Amazon, needs a new home. He is only a morning and evening screetcher, and it never bothered me at the house -- but the RV is smaller and a different story. I'd rather keep him than have him bounce form home to home. I'll figure out some way to deal with him -- parking in bigger parks or something -- he doesn't both ME as much as I really worry about the neighbors with the lots in RV parks being so small and the neighbots so close. When he gets in his screetching modes, I hesitate to open windows and the door.

Bea is working full time now but the kids don't come back to school until the end of the month. I'll plan on leaving here the 24th of September. That will get me back to Gatesville on Friday the 26th. Need to make an appointment with my friends Lee and Mary Jane to come help me unhitch in Gatesville! Need to remember to pay my extra month's rent here, too!

I'll be back in Gatesville for my friend's son's wedding. She sent me the website of the photographer that took the engagement pictures. They are so like Marty! Just the kind of pictures I would expect --- barns, trees, tractors!

Still no truck -- the diesel guy had some kind of technical school this week -- maybe they will finish it up next week. Sure put a crimp into the plans I had.

August 16 and I wake up to 52 degree weather. None of us wanted to crawl out of bed --pull the comforter up over my head and stay put! Even ol' Holly crawled out of her sleeping spot and crawled under the covers. Great sleepin' weather! A week of sunny 80 degree weather coming up. This is just a wonderfully boring do nothin' kinda place! I knew if I put up with enough crappy weather, it would be worth it. Is this Heaven? No this is Iowa!

I found a portable counter top ice maker -- my little freezer just can't keep up with the ice cubes for my ice tea. I think this will work out just fine!

Bea has been behaving herself -- hasn't given me any trouble! You know how baby sisters can be! I really hated having to depend on her for transportation until I got the loaner van. I was doing hand laundry so I didn't have to call her to take me to the laundromat! She was washing my jeans and t-shirts -- talk about service! She would pick them up, wash and fold them and deliver them back to the RV! But it was her idea that I stay a little longer since I wasn't going to PA -- it will give TX a chance to cool off a little. So I guess I haven't been driving her nuts either!

Lil Bit and I grilled chicken and veggies outside -- she just sets staring at the grill -- reminds me of that old RCA Logo of the dog setting there looking at the old Victorla!

The middle of August, 7 PM and it's already down to 64 degrees -- looks like another quilt night.

No comments: