Tuesday, October 6, 2009

And the Move Goes On!


Thanks to Mary Gift for the picture of the 'move.'
September 24th I mentioned that I’d update the blog when the new computer desk was set up --- well, that hasn’t happened yet – can’t even see the desk for the boxes stacked on the floor!

Where to start about the move – what a comedy of errors!

The RV was delivered September 24 and it was trip after trip carting boxes from the old to the new. The weather refused to cooperate – chilly, windy, damp, dreary – sometimes rain, sometimes drizzle – but enough to chill me to the bone!

September 30th I had my last doctor’s appointment – everything is as “OK” as it can be – I did ask for something for some back muscle spasms I’ve been having – got some Flexiril – have taken that before and know I can’t handle more than ½ tablet so find that pill cutter and get them split in half!
Don’t you just love looking thru boxes for something you know you have somewhere!!

Confession time – been having some problems getting the nerves, muscles and joints all going in the same direction at the same time and have taken a few nasty falls in the process of sorting, packing, tossing and toting. Good thing I have enough padding on me so that I bounce and the bones don’t break!

On Fri, Oct 2, Randy came by and hitched up the old one ready to go to the sales place in the AM -- still have to disconnect utilities and get a few more things out -- but it was getting tooooooo damn cold to be running back and forth in the rain. Never got much above 50 degrees and the wind was horrible with that terrible drizzle -- you know those midwest fall rainy, dreary, cold windy days. Hell of a day to try to move. But the 'kids' and I are all snug as a bug in the new one -- of course, will have to move the boxes off of the bed before we can get in it!!!

I won't be hitchin' up the new one and headed south until I get this stuff put away -- we have boxes stacked all over! Couldn't bring the slides in if I wanted to!!

On Sat, my sister and I got the RV over to Twin Anchors RV by noon -- then stopped at the café for lunch - Bea had a tenderloin sandwich -- I had a hot roast beef sandwich -- nothing like canned beef and gravy and instant potatoes to warm you from the inside out! I have no idea why I ordered that -- guess I was remembering the days Mom used to treat us to hot roast beef sandwiches at the Woolworth's lunch counter (or maybe it was Kresge's) in Dubuque when we went up to get shoes! I haven’t cooked or eaten anything other than fast food for several days! Can’t get to the stove and the toaster oven and crockpot are in a box somewhere! I do have a microwave, however!

Came back to the RV and collapsed. It felt like one hurdle was over – now I’m down to one lot rental instead of two! Mary, Judy and the family (owners of the park) have been tremendous during this moving upheaval!!

Took my muscle relaxer and hit the bed for a couple of hours! WHEW! Every bit of my get up and go got up and went. I just couldn't lift or move another box! So Li'lBit and I went to bed for a couple hours nap!

Now it's unpacking, sorting, tossing time. Need to get rid of some of this JUNK! Just packing clothes -- I found night gowns, blouses, sweaters and jackets I haven't worn since I moved into the RV! I'm trying to put things in piles -- bedroom, kitchen, desk, etc. Actually - I'm really looking for my coffee pot!

I’m not sure how Bea is doing all of the work she is – she has to mow her lawn, probably for the last time this year -- with the rain we have had, the grass has really grown and she doesn't want it to winter over that high. She has been doing most of the heavy lifting and toting involved in this move. I don’t know where she gets the energy – but I’ll take full advantage of her inability to be here Sunday by taking it easy!!!

Finally found my coffee pot, coffee and coffee filters Saturday evening-- so I can have coffee in the AM! I've been drinking tea -- I like tea -- but prefer coffee in the AM and tea later in the day.

On Sun, Oct 4, I woke up to 37 degrees!!!! DAMN!!! At least it isn't raining and the sun is out! Bea called to say we will go to breakfast this morning -- haven't done that for a week or so and that has been our ‘Sunday Tradition!” Maybe that's a sign things are getting back to 'normal' -- except for the stack of boxes! I did make SOME headway Friday and Saturday nite - very little -- now it's just a box at a time.

I think I'm going to like it - of course, I'm going to like it!!! It's NEW! Anyway -- just have to organize and sort -- not sure where the feed and water bowl for the critters will go -- need to work out things like that!

Also, since I have so much more undercompartment storage, I need to get some good sturdy plastic bins that I can pack things in some sort of order and not just tossed in! I know things like my holiday decorations can go under there -- extra books, etc. Due to the slide mechanism to extend the bedroom being under the bed, I don’t have the under-bed storage I had in the old one. I I just have to figure out where to put stuff. So much of my storage is so high, I have to use a step stool for just about everything! My sister found a nice 2-step folding ladder for me to use. I almost have to stepp on the lower step to reach the microwave! It’s quite a stretch for me!

Sunday was breakfast at Perkins -- I think I’m too old, stiff, sore to eat! It takes too much energy to pick up a fork!. The rest of the day was spent searching for the RV Title (old RV) -- I took it out of my strong box -- and then evidentially PACKED IT IN A BOX! Unbelievable -- why didn't I leave it in the strong box -- or put it in my truck or somewhere SAFE!

The weather turned bad again Monday -- 38 degrees! DAMN! I want a few dry days so I can sort and organize the undercompartment and see how much room I have under there -- I know it is a lot bigger than in the old RV. Right now all that is in there is the stuff from my old RV undercompartment -- and I think I will have plenty of room for most of the stuff I had under my bed in the old RV.

Monday evening Bea and I met Gene and Vicki at Applebees -- Bea and I had one of the 2 for $20 meals -- we both had huge plates of shrimp, french fries cole slaw and french fried onion rings as an appetizer - that lot's of food for $20. I know there was over a dozen nice sized shrimp!

No comments: