Saturday, October 24, 2009

Mon, OCT 19 - On The Road Again -- As soon as I get around that tree!


Bea came by to make sure I was disconnected from the utilities and ready to go. Then she 'leads' me out of the park, down the highway over to the 'diagonal' highway that takes me to the Interstate. I think she just wants to make sure I get outta town!!!

Shortly after leaving Des Moines, southbound on I-35, the road construction began. On and off, frequently down to 2 lanes nearly all the way to Kansas City.

Gotta get the swing of turning with the extended king pin hitch -- the RV travels longer behind the truck. But managed to stop for fuel without wiping out the fuel pump!! I'll check mpg when I'm a little braver. The way the construction and traffic patterns were, I'm not sure I'm going to like what I'll see.

It felt really good to get to a point where I could get rid of the wind-breaker and the long-sleeved flannel shirt! Only did about 6 hours -- just over 300 miles. At first I thought the RV was towing really 'loose' and 'heavy' -- but after I got out of the construction and could get some speed (other than 45 mph!), it was much better. Handles really good between 55-60mph.

Arrived at my little privately owned RV park in Homewood KS, about an hour south of KC late afternoon. It is definitely not a 'destination' type park, not a dog-gone thing to do unless you have family there. But the owners are nice and pop a fresh bag of popcorn for ya! The price is right; great for a nite's stay. I take a pull-thru so I don't have to unhitch and only hook up to electric.

Day One complete. Feed the critters and get some rest. Two more to go!

No comments: