Saturday, October 24, 2009

WEDNESDAY, OCT 21 - Day #3 - Texas Just Ahead!


Horrible driving day. I left Guthrie OK about 8:15AM and 20 minutes down the road hit OK City and rain. It was rain, rain, rain all the way down I-35. When it wasn't raining it was foggy; what a crazy day. Actually, I was beginning to think I was the crazy one for being on the road! Numerous accidents along the way and I'll bet my bottom dollar they were all from speeding. I just can't blieve people won't slow down! Took me about 2 hours longer to make the trip than I had planned. I stopped a lot more often and took my time.

Went into the shell station to use the facilities and get some coffee. Never can quite explain why I stop to use the bathroom, then buy a couple cups of coffee. I guess so I can check out the facilities down the road. After I pulled in to the station lot, I realized I couldn't drive AROUND back to come out the other way. Canopy over the pumps said 14 ft..no problem. So I casually mentioned to the lady at the counter I was just going to swing thru the pumps and go out the other way. WRONG -- NEW LIGHT FIXTURES -- SO why does it still say 14 feet! They say confession is good for the soul...well, I've NEVER backed up THIS RV! I did then! Just like clockwork, right out on the highway like I had good sense! Of course, I was headed the wrong way down the road so 13 miles down to some little burg in Oklahoma, turn around in the school parking lot and 13 miles back to the Interstate and I'm back headed south.

Just as I crossed to Red River into Texas, I had planned on stopping at the rest stop. Took one exit too soon and ended up dead-end in a parking lot at an XXX Adult Video business. Would someone tell me why they have to have such a big parking lot in front when all of the customers hide their vehicles around back! So, potty stop at the XXX Adult Video parking lot...back on I-35 Southbound.

I called the RV park in Gatesville to let them know I was a couple hours out and would just be coming in to hook up the electric. Would wait until sunny weather to unhitch and set up!

Finally made it to my little 'home base' RV park in Gatesville TX about 5PM. Gatesville was my home for over 20 years. Now it's time to catch up on the gossip and the coffee-drinking with old friends!

New rig handles OK -- just seem to tow 'heavier' and 'looser' than the old one.

No comments: